Thursday, November 3, 2016

Wikipedia Trail: From Charles Perrault to Compadre

For this Wikipedia Trails, I decided to start with one of the authors that I'm studying for my Storybook project - Charles Perrault.

Charles Perrault

For one, I didn't know that he wrote Puss in Boots or that it was even a real story! I thought that the Shrek series made that one up. Like many great French writers, Perrault also served in politics as an assistant to the famous finance minister Jean Baptiste Colbert. From there, I decided to read the article that contains one of his works, Sleeping Beauty.

Sleeping Beauty

It was interesting to read the differing versions of the Sleeping Beauty story. Both Perrault and Basile's narratives are much darker than the Disney version of the tale, but to me that just makes them more interesting!

From here, I followed a link to Godparent.


File:Henry Meynell Rheam - Sleeping Beauty.jpg

Sleeping Beauty by Henry Meynell Rheam

Godparent

In this article, I read a lot about the different forms or roles that a godparent can take in the various Christian denominations, but there are also a few non-Christian godparents that surprised me, like in Judaism or in China.

After reading about godparents, I ended my trail with Compadre.

Compadre

It turns out the term "compadre" comes from Spanish and Portuguese and means "co-parents." It is used to link the parents and godparents of a child in a shared role. I didn't actually know this, but probably should have (I took four years of Spanish).

No comments:

Post a Comment