Thursday, November 3, 2016

Growth Mindset:Creative Confidence

Video Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16p9YRF0l-g&list=PLrWYQjLLbXcinSlIDzuKWSxh_XzkZP0_b&index=16

For this Growth Mindset exercise, I decided to learn more about the ways in which I can apply the mindset to my life. I watched David Kelley's TED talk on "Creative confidence" and really liked it. Not only do I feel exactly as afraid as the people that he talks about in the video, but he also said a lot of things that resonated with how I think about creative processes.

For one, I'm really afraid to label myself as a creative. I like reading books and short stories, but I'm a computer science major. Most of what I have learned in courses is black and white, logical mathematical principles and how to apply them. But there is a yearning for me to be a writer as well. When I read a great story or I watch a movie or TV show that makes me feel like my whole world has been flipped upside down, it inspires me. It makes me want to create things as incredible as what I've just experienced. And I want others to experience them too.

However, I also am really afraid of criticism. This is probably one of my greatest weaknesses, and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that, like Carol Dweck mentioned, I was told I was smart when I was a kid. Even throughout high school, my friends and family put this label on me and so I felt like I had to live up to their expectations. It's hurt me a lot in college, and I'm trying to grow out of it, but it's not as easy as I would like it to be. Hard is good sometimes though.

In these next few weeks, I'm going to try to do something creative once a week outside of class. Maybe I'll make a blog with my creative pursuits! Showing my work to people more often would help me overcome my fears.

Image result for overcoming fear

Overcoming fear via Flickr user Vic

No comments:

Post a Comment