Monday, November 28, 2016

Reading Notes: Russian Folktales, Part A

The Dead Mother

"He did what was best" - seems odd to me, but I guess this was the culture. Mothers apparently were the domestic figures to the point of the father needing a motherly figure to take care of his child.

Woah, that was a creepy ending! Gotta love it though.

The Treasure

It seems like the old man's fortune is turning pretty quickly. I wonder if it'll stay throughout the story? (Probably not :/)

God, it's disgusting to see the pope's behavior change towards the peasant once he realizes he has money to pay him.

Well, this has certainly taken a turn for the weird. But weird is good.

Yay, happy ending with the bad guy being punished. I wasn't expecting it though.

The Bad Wife

Hmm. Sounds like this "bad wife" is pretty susceptible to reverse psychology.

I wonder why she keeps calling him thief... maybe it is the reason she disobeys every order her husband gives?

Okay, surely there's some sort of trick. Maybe the bad wife is actually this demon?

Huh! I was pretty sure that the peasant was going to get punished for leaving his wife - even though she was labeled as bad - in the pit, but it turns out he's the hero of the story. Surely people will find out his secret the next time someone gets sick though?

The Three Copecks

Wow, greed and money is such a huge factor in these stories. I wonder if that's because poverty has played such a huge role in Russia especially?

That was a very strange story. It seemed to shift perspectives all the time and lead down pointless paths to get to where the story was headed. I guess that's maybe the point?

The Miser

I'm glad the wife is enabling her husband's terribly greedy plans. I guess she's just obeying though...

Wow... I don't like that Marko got away with not paying the poor man, but I guess that's what happens sometimes..

The Water Snake

Uh oh, something tells me that this poor girl is going to have to marry that snake.

That's simply terrifying. I can't imagine one snake crashing through my window, much less a whole troop of them.

Another strange, random ending. Are the birds symbolic or something?

This story wasn't about money per se, but it did involve deception.

Friday

Okay that escalated quickly. What a horrible thing..

I'm not sure what the meaning of this story is. Is Friday something special in Russian culture?

Wednesday

Strange, I guess Wednesday is the complete opposite of Friday in the minds of the old Russians who wrote these stories..

I was pretty surprised everything went according to plan.

The Leshy

I like how casually time passes in these stories. "Three years went by."

It's interesting that the girl was so aware of her situation - that escape wasn't on her mind, but only that the Leshy was needed to provide her with food and drink for survival. I wonder how long she was on her own? It also could have just been brainwashing..

Dnieper, Volga, and Dvina

Emilian the Fool

I wonder why he couldn't just wish for wood to make its way to the home? Seems a lot easier than going yourself.

Oh, well no harm done then I suppose.

File:Esox lucius1.jpg

Pike

Bibliography: Russian Fairy Tales by W.R.S. Ralton. Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment