Saturday, November 19, 2016

Wikipedia Trail: From San Jose Sharks to George W. Bush

To start this Wikipedia Trail off, I decided to read about the NHL (National Hockey League) team the San Jose Sharks.

San Jose Sharks

The Sharks are a relatively new team to the league, starting in 1991.

They struggled a bunch early on in their franchise career, and they still hold the record for most losses in a season with 71.

However, they outsold every other NHL team in merchandise sales in 1992.

They actually made the playoffs and put up a pretty good fight in their next year, which is pretty good for such a new team.

From the Sharks article, I found a link to Seek & Destroy, a song by Metallica.

Image result for san jose sharks

San Jose Sharks logo

Seek & Destroy

Wow! I've listened to Metallica a bit in my day, but I had no idea that this song was such a historic one for them. It was the first song that they EVER recorded in studio, and to date it's their third most played song of all time. That's pretty cool!

From here, I decided to read about Clear Channel, which later turned into iHeartMedia.

iHeartMedia

I haven't heard of this before, but Clear Channel actually was a public company for a long time (35 years!), but in 2006 it actually sold its investors shares (with their permission, of course) and became private. I guess $26.7 billion really talks.

This article actually wasn't as interesting as I was hoping it would be. It just goes into detail about the different types of programming that the station has done over the years and some of the typical controversies that every major company seems to face at one time or another.

To end this Wikipedia Trail, I will read about the former US President George W. Bush.

George W. Bush

It's funny how opinions change about someone, particularly public figures. Bush was beloved when he first took first office, but it seems that it was only because of the 9/11 attacks. I've heard the same thing said about Rudy Giuliani, specifically because of his fervent support of Donald Trump in the 2016 election.

No comments:

Post a Comment