Thursday, November 10, 2016

Wikipedia Trail: From Suspiria to Louisiana Creole French

I decided to start this Wikipedia Trail with a random article because I wasn't sure what I wanted to know more about. This took me to an interesting article, one about the Italian horror movie Suspiria.

Suspiria

Huh! Apparently this movie is the first of a trilogy called "The Three Mothers". The other two debuted in 1980 and 2007, which is a LOT of time between films.

The star of the film was also American, which I thought was interesting but also not too shocking once I thought about it. The American film industry was really ramping up during the 60s and 70s, so it makes sense that even international directors would want our stars.

Also, it got an 8.4/10 on Rotten Tomatoes! Maybe I'll have to see it.

From here, I decided to learn more about black magic.

Black magic

Huh, I had no idea about the black magic vs. white magic thing. Black magic nowadays is a little removed from its original meaning, which is defined in this article as magic that is used selfishly.

This is interesting, because a lot of magic would then be considered black magic, even something like altering one's appearance using magic, or bringing one's pet back to life (another selfish, but "good" endeavor).

To contrast, the article says white magic is much more spiritual.

From here, I read about Louisiana Voodoo.

Louisiana Voodoo

Voodoo comes from African spiritual practices and beliefs and was brought over in the African slave trade and mixed with French, Spanish, and Creole cultures that passed through Louisiana.

 It actually is its own religion in Louisiana and has a liturgical language called Louisiana Creole French.

What was interesting to me is that this type of Voodoo is actually pretty different from the other strains of Voodoo that you find in Haiti (Vodou) and South America (Hoodoo)

Voodoo dolls also aren't really a main feature in any form of Voodoo culture as they are represented in popular culture. They just happened to be associated with the dolls when their culture was commercialized in the 20th century.

From here, I wanted to learn more about the Louisiana Creole French because I've studied a lot of French over the years!


Not-so-threatening Voodoo doll

Louisiana Creole French

Apparently the language came to be when French-speaking slaver owners needed to communicate with the African slaves that they had brought over to Louisiana.

After slavery ended, the language lost a lot of popularity publicly because people were ashamed that it was associated with slavery. Additionally, since English became the dominant language in the United States, many people were forced to learn it and started speaking LCF less.

The tables showing the differences between LCF and standard French were fascinating! I had to hear someone so I watched a view Youtube videos. I could understand some of it, but it was tough!

1 comment:

  1. Joe, I noticed this post by chance, and I am so glad you found the "French connection" here and learned something about French creole. That is one of the best things about French: it gives you access to all the French creoles. If you are curious, take a look at this AMAZING collection by the folklorist Elsie Parsons with French stories from the Antilles: so cool!!!
    Folk-lore of the Antilles, French and English.

    ReplyDelete